The Guardly Gazette Plot Contest Scandal Special
The Guardly Gazette Christmas Plot Contest Scandal Special
                                                                                        retardation*
Introduction
Many players were ecstatic to see the return of plot contest for Christmas. As the reset neared last version plot contest became scarce and what once used to be a monthly activity was a rare sight to be posted on the courtyard notice board. But shortly after the reset players were excited to see that there would be a Christmas plot contest like usual.

The Winners
Taking home first place for the 2nd time in three years is b_bopp, b_bopp won with his corner plot, and also won in 2016 with his Santa's Workshop. Taking home 2nd place was _AcidBlitz also known as _Quinn as she will be referred to for the rest of this post. Bringing home 3rd place, was everybody's favorite Aussie, Cpt_PandaPantz.

The Winning Plots
The Christmas plot contest is something that players all around look for and a lot of older players even come back from the dead just to compete. Winning the Christmas Plot Contest is a prestigious award and is the most participated in plot contest throughout the whole year. The winning plots are often grand builds that take hours of creativity, thought, and hard work put into.

B_Bob's Winning Plot
[Image: ogaXFcy.jpg]

Quinn's Winning Plot
[Image: VCS6wdK.png]

Cpt_PandaPantz's Winning Plot
[Image: q7QnE86.png]

Now anyone looking at these plots would say, with the exception of a few key aspects, these plots are not all that grand. At least compared to previous winners, such as LittleLea's Mansion that brought home the dub last year, or B_Bobb's Workshop that did it in 2016.

The Judge
Something was noticeably different in this years judging however; there was a new judge. In previous years the judge had been Silas_Bowen, but taking his place this year was MCP's newest warden, MasterOvie. Who says that when he judges doesn't judge based on creativity or uniqueness but "which ones showed Christmas Spirit the best." wat.

The "Scandal"
I normally don't have problems with plot contest and the winners as normally my plot is trash as it was with this plot contest. But in what I do have problems with is when players just build their plot entries based off of Youtube videos or tutorials and put no effort into their builds. In previous years unless the plot was built before the contest was announced plots like these were normally disqualified or were very unlikely to win. But both second and third place winners are heavily influenced by a tutorial.

2nd Place
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB4lFehxdvo
In the above video you see a tutorial on how to build a small to medium Christmas house. If you would look at Quinn's 2nd place winning entry you would notice that the house featured on her plot is the exact same plot featured in this video. The only differences that Quinn made to her plot is adding a reef, changing the path, adding different colored windows, adding some bushes around her house, and some other minor changes. This is sad considering that many players spent hours building their plot contest specially designed around the theme and were very impressive when all that Quinn had to do was watch a tutorial, build the house, and add some changes to make it look more "Christmassy."

3rd Place
When you look at Cpt_PandaPantz's winning plot, a lot of older Minecraft players will get a comfy feeling as they notice it only really was built using older style blocks. That is because it was stolen from a 2011 build. https://www.planetminecraft.com/project/...buildings/ In the post from Planet Minecraft a build team that goes by Team Aperture built two Christmas themed houses, one of which was Cpt_PandaPantz's winning plot. The plot from the interior to the decorations on the outside are exactly the same with the exception that Cpt_PandaPantz did not add a fence to her plot assuming from size restrictions and adding a personal mailbox.

The Quaint Entry
What a lot of players were most excited about was that there would be a bonus for the most "quaint" plot. A lot of players had to Google the definition of Quaint and were excited to see that it meant, "attractively unusual or old-fashioned." So a lot of players planned on building cottage themed plots in hope of getting the bonus. AlphaCoolskate won this bonus and most were curious as how ItsKelinu with his classic Gingerbread house design didn't win. But whatevs, that was until The Guardly Gazette talked to MasterOvie about this "quaint" plot. Ovie's said that quaint had meant unusual and had picked Coolskate to win the bonus because of one reason, his plot had an Isreali flag.
[Image: m0APMni.jpg]
Yes, that single banner that Coolskate opened from an image pack was the reason that Coolskate won the most, "attractively unusual or old-fashioned." bonus. wat. If Ovie was judging off of most unusual, I am personally surprised that Ryan10000's Christmas in Atlantis plot didn't win.

Conclusion
Many believe that the contest should be rejudged as 2 of the top three spots were very highly based off of tutorials or other's designs however the damage has already been done. Some have already begun deconstructing their plots. Although some do believe that extra prizes should be handed out to those who didn't base their builds off of tutorials.

Thanks
The Guardly Gazette would like to thank MasterOvie for spending his time judging and for the interview.

*Note* Article written by Dragon1240

signature

(Apr 5th, 2017, 02:56 PM)LaughNgamez link Wrote:No singing in Communist MCP Kappa

F

"I don't think it's Dragon, I think he is just being retarded as usual." - zs471 4/26/2017

You will be remembered zs471, F.

(Sep 24th, 2017, 09:25 AM)zs471 link Wrote:You know I was actually just thinking to myself, 'You know who would be a good guard?' Then it came to me. Obviously Dragon1240 would be a good guard. +1
+1 actually worth reading.
+1 Really good Read!

signature

[Image: 9aabf691e1dff868f2587373a1555d92.png]

signature

[Image: 4d717fc0b4cfe6b111211563167db00f.png]
I did use that video as reference of what to build on my plot but I made it my own style and added different things. I don’t see an issue there.
+1 well put together and fun to read
Here is the "only" picture that AcidBlitz_ used for her house (let me know if the link doesn't work as it is from discord).

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/4...image0.png
(Dec 28th, 2018, 09:35 AM)Canada_MC link Wrote:Here is the "only" picture that AcidBlitz_ used for her house (let me know if the link doesn't work as it is from discord).

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/4...image0.png
The link worked. Thanks for posting this. This is the only reference I used for my plot.
Wait a minute, thats dope, what do I get for most quaint? XD

signature

//[Image: KSuhqwo.png]
(Dec 28th, 2018, 08:34 AM)AcidBlitz_ link Wrote:I did use that video as reference of what to build on my plot but I made it my own style and added different things. I don’t see an issue there.

The point of the plot entry was never to copy someone else's idea, but to be creative and make your own.

The issue is when people spend a lot of time and effort making an original plot only to be beat by someone who copied a house made by someone else 5 years ago. The fact that 2 of the 3 winners have unoriginal plots only discourages people from spending time and making creative plots. If you essentially need to copy someone else to win, why would people bother creating their own?