New forum software?
So the current forums are barely working and bots are getting a bit out of hand. So I was thinking about picking up XenForo, it is the same forum software the Bukkit/Spigot use and is the cheapest out of VBulliten and IPBoard. I would love to get IPBoard but it is $300+ and I can't justify spending that much on forum software. I should be able to move all of the data over to XenForo but there is a small chance that it would not work, these forums would still stay up no mater what but in read only mode. If you know of any other premium forum software post a link to it and would look at it. love to here your thoughts.

EDIT: All the forum data can me moved over with avatars the only thing being lost and that is because I am lazy and don't feel like re-uploading them all.

2nd EDIT: Also this one posting in god dam idiot proof but you know what they say
[Image: ZCmoHYZ.png]

signature

-James Cameron
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ Born too late to explore the earth, born too soon to explore the galaxy. Born just in time to гคเรє ๓ץ ๔๏ภﻮєг ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Good idea it's just really expensive

signature

[Image: 4d717fc0b4cfe6b111211563167db00f.png]
it's only $170

signature

-James Cameron
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ Born too late to explore the earth, born too soon to explore the galaxy. Born just in time to гคเรє ๓ץ ๔๏ภﻮєг ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
(Jul 21st, 2015, 12:25 PM)Zeedin link Wrote:it's only $170

Well you most likely have a job.  i don't have one so i can't make as much money as you. 

#StillTryingToDonate

signature

[Image: 4d717fc0b4cfe6b111211563167db00f.png]
I would recommend moving to MyBB instead, it's open source (so it has loads of plugins) and it has built in spam prevention measures.

signature

[Image: mcoSSzx.png]
[Image: z1bJDdf.png]

It has the same problem that smf has, has not been updated in years and has no support and takes a lot to add any advanced user feathers that people expect on a website. I have tried all the open score and free forums and they all have the same problem. I want a forum that is idiot proof for the users and has all the feathers I want out of the box, and not spending a ton of time writing my Owen plugins like I have done and would have to do with any free software. If I were to use an open scour forums again it would be discorce and that is not cheep to run.

signature

-James Cameron
MyBB had their last major release less than a year ago and their support is more than adequate from my experience. Sure, you'll have to do some minor coding work yourself to get some things to work or to get some old plugins to work with the new version. But beyond that, it's just fine.

signature

(Jul 26th, 2015, 11:10 AM)MI-6 link Wrote: MyBB had their last major release less than a year ago and their support is more than adequate from my experience. Sure, you'll have to do some minor coding work yourself to get some things to work or to get some old plugins to work with the new version. But beyond that, it's just fine.
I had started work on a MyBB (6 months ago) and there is alot of work that would need to be done and it has all the same problems that SMF and that is why I never finished it. And you just can't get the same level of support/security options that paid platforms give you, trust me I lave looked into all the free options and all of them have the same problems.

signature

-James Cameron
Alright, just figured I'd share what has worked for me so far.

signature